Companies With A Positive Environmental Impact
p-hovs on 4/9/2021
As you might've heard, the climate is changing at an unsustainable rate. While there are many things one can do to help slow the rate of change, shopping can be trickier than it seems to do your part. Here are a few easy ways to reduce your footprint:
Shop Carbonfree or Climate Neutral companies
Both Carbonfree and Climate Neutral certified companies are a great place to start shopping for goods. Both certifications account for offsetting companies' emissions from production through shipping. Use the filters on the companies page of dtcdb or on any product page to find companies with these certifications.
- stasher - Use these instead of one-time-use plastic bags. Even better, they can go straight from the fridge into the microwave, perfect for pizza leftovers!
- Jelt or Unbelts - Belts made from recycled plastic bottles.
- RADIUS, Bite - Replace the plastic toothbruses and toothpaste cartons!
- preserve - Household goods made from recycled plastics.
- Hone Alone - Sharpen razor blades to reuse them and extend blade life.
Using any reusable bag at the grocery store instead of their paper or platic bags has a huge impact. The three companies listed below are all environmentall-conscious companies selling reusable shopping tote bags at varying prices. For more companies that offer bags, visit the dtcdb bag product page.
Buying refills for products is a great way to cut down on the plastic consumption of smaller portions, and products are generally cheaper in bulk as well! It's good for the company, consumer, and environment when products are purchased in bulk. Use the filters on the companies page of dtcdb or on any product page to find companies that offer refills for certain products.
Household Cleaning Products
- Puracy, Force Of Nature, Blueland, Cleancult - Also offer reusable and refillable cleaning solutions.
- Nellie's - Offers literal buckets of laundry detergent, as well as dryer balls to replace single-use lint sheets. Also offers refillable cleaning products.
- Defunkify - Plastic neutral detergents and cleaners.
Personal Care Products
- by Humankind - Personal care products that aren't shipped in one-time-use-plastics. Offers more than just shampoo and conditioner!
- Ethique - Shampoo and conditioner bars, as well as other cleaning products.
Another great way to use refills is to change from a disposable razor to a safety razor! While they may not be for everyone, you can virtually eliminate all plastic from your shaving routine by making the switch.
- Patagonia Worn Wear - Look, Patagonia created a lot of the environmentally conscious advocate groups that exist today, and you can't go wrong with their products. But a secret is their Worn Wear collection, where they upcycle old clothes into new ones and sell some factory seconds at discounted prices.